8.27.2006

A Schoolhouse Named Desire

So I embarked on this thinking, well it probably won't damage the children permanently and I'll have time to finish my novel. I know it won't be a great experience and it is too late to look for a private school (also, I might find it paralyzing to think how much money I was spending to have the luxury of writing) but it is just for 3 months. We'll suffer through.

Then while waiting to register I met a mom I knew from an old playgroup with sons, Logan and Daniel, Ev and Clem's age. Gee, it would be nice if they ended up in classes with her sons. Then I talked to our doctor's nurse (turns out she lives right around the corner) and she said that she liked all the 3rd Grade teachers but that Ms. Q was the best. And there it was.

Desire.

All of a sudden a hope that things could go well. This is dangerous because you start to get invested. So I google Ms. Q and wouldn't you know. She is google-able.


EACH november students have a chance to honor
their favorite teacher by submitting an essay or a draw-
ing to the "American Education Week Favorite Teacher Essay
contest." Middling Elementary School third-grader Alta
Hassan won the contest in her grade for writing the following
essay about her teacher, Ms. Q.

My Favorite Teacher

My favorite teacher is Ms. Q. I like Ms. Q because she explains our homework, so we know what to do. She also tells us many funny stories about her childhood ­ like the time she told us these dogs were chasing her brothers and sisters with her after they were being naughty teasing them. It was so hilarious!

I loved it when Ms.Q taught some of us to Salsa dance. Every day when I come to school, her clothes look so pretty. I wish I was in her class last year too, because she has a cute little library.

Most of all, I love her because she is a great singer. She even sings with her class in the morning right when we get to school. That is everything I want you to know about my favorite teacher, Ms. Q.

I'm fairly certain that salsa dancing is not in the curriculum. This does not sound like a teacher who spends all her time teaching to the test. Desire gets stronger.

They posted the assignments at 5pm Friday. Clementine has Ms. A. We haven't heard anything about her. But, hey, Daniel from her old playgroup is in the class. And there are only 17 kids in her first grade class. She won't be overloaded to another school.

And Evelyn has Ms. Q! And Logan is in her class as well. But there are 24 students. Four will be overloaded to another school if everyone shows up.

Drat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home