8.30.2006

School Days, Rule Days

The first day is over. I think I wrote two paragraphs on my novel. Spent a long time coming up with the name of a mountain range. I've called it the Slinnery Pikes.

We had friends over for dinner and I was talking about my school worries. Clem ran up to me and hugged me and said, "Don't worry Mama, I love my teacher, she is really nice." She loved recess, and even liked all the controlling rituals like making kids who misbehave sit on a red dot on the blacktop. She wants more peanut butter for lunch tomorrow, more than the quarter cup she had today. I am sure kids will be going into anaphylactic shock way down the hall.

Evelyn reported that it was BORING, BORING, BORING. "All the teacher did was lecture." Ms. Q talked about the rules, and about a lot of exciting things they would do, but they didn't get to do any of them. The only work Evelyn did all day was read the word "extraordinary", but that wasn't really work at all. Some kids thought "stupendous" meant "stupid." They didn't even write anything.

Clem piped up that she had written two sentences.
My name is Clementine.
and
I feel nrvos.

I guess I can put my handwriting worries to rest. Clem said she finished the first sentence and the other three children at her table had only written M. Of course, maybe they were taking great care with their penmanship.

The most exciting part of Evelyn's day was spotting a crushed owl pellet on the sidewalk on the way home. Big bones, lots of ribs. Ev said it was a rat and pointed out some tail bones.

Evelyn thinks she'll get to stay with Ms. Q. When we checked the class list there were 24 kids, but Ms. Q said she had 26 on her list. Only 22 showed up. Evelyn concluded that two had registered after they posted the sheet last Friday. If those two showed up today and some other 4 were absent, then she would not be overloaded. (It goes by date of registration). I hope she was right. She says Ms. Q is too serious.

If she does get overloaded I might just give up on the project and have her do some online classes and read quietly while I write.

The kids didn't make their lunches, nor did they set out their clothes. I don't feel like doing it tonight and I have to drop Mike at the Park N' Ride at 7:30am. It is going to be a scramble to get them to school at 8:20. Already the shine is off our shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home